When it comes down to it, Google Ads has five different ad campaign types to choose from. These types are: Search, Display, Shopping, Video, and Universal App. Picking a campaign type can be a tricky first step. To make this process a little smoother, below I have outlined each of these to help making picking the best campaign type a breeze for what you are looking for!
First off, these ads appear next to Google search results or on other partner sites like YouTube when people search for results or businesses like yours. Just as a fun fact, everyday about 3.5 billion searches are made through Google Searches. These ads can be beneficial because they allow you to make sure potential customers see what your brand is, take into consideration what products/services you are advertising, and take action.
When setting up this campaign, these four questions need to be taken into consideration:
- Where do you want your ads to be seen?
- How much do you want to invest?
- What do you want to put in the ads?
- What keywords will you use to match what your customers are searching for?
In addition, under these ads you have the option of selecting the Search Network (SN) which are campaigns that allow you to show text ads on the search engine results pages. This by default includes Google Search partners and with this your ads will show not only in Google Search but also extend to all the sites partnering with Google. If you want to learn more about Search Ads, the Google Skillshop is a great tool!
To start, Display Ads have the potential to reach 90% of people on the internet! These ads get matched with content related to your customer’s interests or business and can appear on more than two million apps and sites. Crazy right? In addition, they help to increase brand awareness when people are searching or looking at things they are interested in online. Why use Display Ads you may ask? These ads:
- Help you deliver relevant advertising to what people are looking for as they browse the web
- Help connect your business with your customers and allows you to get a sense of the customer behaviors
- Help you increase your online presence and exposure to reach audiences across the web
Within display ads, there are two different types:
- Smart Display Campaigns: These are campaign types that use full automation and have the components of automated CPA, automated targeting, and automated creatives. These are simplistic, provide key insights through Google Ads reporting, and allow for more customer reach, running across three million websites and apps available through Google Display Ads.
- Standard Display Campaigns: These campaigns allow for full control since you can manually set your bidding, targeting, and ad formats.
If you would like to learn more about Display Ads then you should check out Display Ads Skillshop.
This campaign type is perfect for when you have an eCommerce store. Shopping Ads appear on Google Shopping near text/responsive ads and next to people’s search results. These ads allow you to give customers important information about things you are selling and promote your products on a larger scale. Shopping campaigns help you:
- Increase traffic to your website/store
- Find better-qualified leads
- Advertise your local/online inventory to promote your products
If you want to learn more about Shopping Ads, then you should check out Shopping Ads Skillshop.
These campaigns are a great way to bring your business’ story to life and reach your target audience in new, creative ways. These ads are all about capturing their attention with visuals and graphics. To show these ads, you can either promote the campaign on their own or through different streaming video content on platforms like YouTube or Google’s array of websites/apps. You should use these ads of you have video/commercial content you would like to promote. If you want to read more about what these ad campaigns entail, you should check out the Google Ads Video Skillshop!
Finally, Universal App campaigns allow you the option of running ads across all of Google’s biggest networks like Display, Search, and Video along with other apps and mobile sites. To help ensure you get the most app downloads, your bids and ads will be automatically adjusted by Google Ads. This campaign type is very simple in that all you have to do is place a campaign bid, add text to the ad, and add some assets and then Google does the rest to help the customers find you. App campaigns can help you:
- Increase app installs/in-app actions (like ordering a product or game feature)
- Increase customer engagement
If you have a new/existing app or want to drive app sales, then this is the perfect campaign type for you! If you want to learn more on Universal App Campaigns, check out this About App Campaigns page provided by Google Ads Help.
Want to Read More?
All in all, it is important to pick the best campaign type for what you are trying to accomplish to help maximize your reach and help engage your audience in a stronger way. If you found this post helpful you should check out my other post on Michigan Google Ads Campaign Optimization! 😊