What is Google Ads?
To start, Google Ads is an online Google advertising platform where advertisers/people at a company can pay to display brief advertisements, product listings, generate mobile application installs, display video content and provide service offerings all within the Google ad network to internet users. There are five different campaign types:
- Search Network
- Display Network
- Video (YouTube)
- Universal App
If you want to learn more about these different campaign types you should check out my blog post, A Google Ads Campaign Overview: What are the Campaign Types?
Why is Optimizing Your Google Ads Campaigns Important?
Having strong campaigns is crucial. Ultimately, the better you optimize your ad campaigns, the better your click-through rates are and the more effective your campaign will be to generate traffic and reach users. In general, the best performing ads are the ones that people find the most relevant. If you think about it, when searching for something on the internet we tend to ignore content that doesn’t relate to our desired search or that we aren’t interested in and focus on the content that is relevant. For example, if your search is for tickets to the Lion’s Football game next Sunday, you will probably ignore ads about actual lions at the zoo or other ads not relating to the game.
To help make customers more likely to click your ads, it is important to know what they are looking for so you can tailor your campaigns, pages, and keywords to be relevant to them. Want to improve your campaigns?
Five Tips to Help Optimize Your Ad Campaigns:
1.) Use Ad Extensions:
- These extensions are additional information that you can put in your Google ads to help drive people to click on the ads and choose your site over others. Some of the different ad extensions are:
- Review Extension: This involves adding a social proof (review or ranking snippet) which can help attract new customers/viewers.
- Call Extension: This involves adding a button to allow people to click/tap and call your business directly from the ad without having to visit your website page. This can be very beneficial to drive people to your company and increase click-through rates.
- Price Extension: This extension appears below your text ad and allows for more space to talk about your specific products or services.
2.) Use a Strong Call-to-Action:
- Your ads should have a strong call-to-action. Ultimately, you want to get people to click on your ad. Using action words like: Sell, Try, Sign-up, Check out, Browse, and Explore, can help people understand what they can/should do once they get to your landing page. Having strong call-to-actions can help get people to act and increase your click-through rates.
3.) Create Enticing Ads:
- It is important to highlight in your ad how your product, service, or website page/blog is different from the rest (i.e. what makes your site unique). To help make your ads relevant and relatable, it is crucial to make the ads compelling and free of passive language. Telling a story can also help provoke people to click on your ad.
4.) Create Specific Ad Groups:
- It is important that within your campaign each ad group is focused around a common idea, concept, keyword, theme, product, or service. This targeting will help ensure that your ads appear more relevant to users and will help increase the chance they will click on your ad.
5.) Choose the Right Keywords:
- You should include specific keywords that directly relate to the theme of your ad/ad group in both the ad headline and ad text. This will help show users that your ad is relevant to their search and hopefully help generate a click. Two to three-word keywords are often more beneficial than single keywords. The more closely your keywords are to your ads and landing pages on your site, the more likely it will be targeted to the right audience and generate buzz/action.
- In addition, it is also important to exclude irrelevant keywords. This will help prevent your ads from showing up in irrelevant searches/pages. Thus, this will save you from paying for unnecessary clicks and helping to increase your return on investment. If you need help thinking of relevant keywords to include with your Google Ad, check out the Google Keyword Planner.
In conclusion, make sure you never stop optimizing your Ad Campaigns. It is important to regularly be looking for new keywords to add to your Ad Groups because people always have changing perceptions and searches. When used, the tips outlined above will help drive clicks and increase visitors to your site.
If you are interested to learn more techniques/tricks to optimize your websites, you should check out my other blog posts, especially Michigan Dearborn Onsite SEO Techniques. 😊