What is Offsite SEO?
Offsite SEO (a.k.a. off-page SEO) refers to actions taken outside of your website that help to impact your rankings on search engine results pages (SERPs). When you optimize for off-site ranking factors, there are a few key components involved. These include improving user perception of a site’s popularity, authority, trustworthiness, and relevance.
When it comes down to it, building backlinks is at the heart of Offsite SEO. Since Google/other search engines use backlinks as identifiers of the quality of the linked-to-content, sites that have many high value backlinks tend to rank better compared sites with fewer backlinks. Overall, there are three types of links you can use to help your site rank better: manually built links, natural links, and self-created links.
- Manually built links-These are created through link-building activities you deliberately do like asking influencers to share content on your site or getting people to link to your website.
- Natural links-Are given without any actions by the page/website owner. For example, a blogger adding a link to a post directing people to learn more about a specific topic is a natural link.
- Self-created links-These are created by techniques like adding a backlink to an online forum, press release, blog comment, or online directory along with anchor text that can be optimized.
Not only this, those that have the most equity generally contribute the most to SEO efforts. To help maximize equity, you should make sure your link has a “freshness” or unique quality that sets it apart from the rest, has strong anchor text, and has a great relation between the linking site topic to the site you are being linked to.
Non-link Offsite SEO Techniques
There are other ways you can use offsite SEO to optimize your website other than links. Some of these options are:
- Guest Blogging-This is a technique used by blog owners to increase traffic to their sites by offering to write content for other similar blogs in their industry.
- Social Media Marketing-This is the use of social media platforms (like Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, or LinkedIn) to help reach your target audience to help drive website traffic, increase sales, and spread the news about your brand.
- Influencer Marketing-This is a marketing type that centers around using key leaders/influencers to help reach a larger market and increase your brand’s message.
- Unlinked and Linked Brand Mentions-Unlinked brand mentions include online mentions (citations) about your brand or anything related to your brand on published sites that do not give a link back to your website. Linked brand mentions are those that include online mentions about your brand and link back to your site.
Offsite SEO Tips
Looking to improve your Offsite SEO techniques to improve your rankings and drive more traffic to your site? Below I have included five helpful tips!
- Link Building is CRITICAL! This is the most popular marketing technique used by professionals all over the world. Like mentioned above, having more backlinks often leads to higher rankings on search engines. To generate more natural links, having amazing content is very important, which leads into the next bullet point…
- Creating Shareable Content is KEY. 😊 Having great content is extremely important when it comes to search engine optimization. Make sure to keep updating your content often and find ways to make it fresh and unique.
- Social Media Engagement is crucial if you want to generate buzz and interest for your website/blog. If you don’t spread the news about your website, nobody will know about it. Having a strong social media presence on platforms like Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, etc. will help you generate more backlinks and help grow your business.
- Influencer Outreach can help you reach a larger audience…if you have good shareable content then don’t be afraid to reach out to other influencers in your industry to help drive user traffic to your site!
- Transparency is a must-have when it comes to helping build trust for your site. If people don’t trust that the content you are discussing is legit or they think you are deceiving them with catchy titles but zero quality content, then they will not likely share your site link. Being perceived as an untrustworthy source definitely will not help increase your organic traffic. A good way to check your users’ level of trust with your site is to get business/site reviews!
Interested to Learn More?
If you are interested to learn more about SEO Techniques, you should check out my post on the other half of SEO, titled, Michigan Dearborn Onsite SEO Techniques! 😊